Saturday, May 12, 2007

Stay-at-home mom's work priceless

Stay-at-home mom’s work worth $138,095
Annual amount she’d earn as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist

NEW YORK - If the typical stay-at-home mother in the United States were paid for her work as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist among other roles, she would earn $138,095 a year, according to research released Wednesday.

This reflected a 3 percent raise from last year’s $134,121, according to Salary.com Inc , Waltham, Massachusetts-based compensation experts.
The 10 jobs listed as comprising a mother’s work were housekeeper, cook, day care center teacher, laundry machine operator, van driver, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer and psychologist, it said.

The typical mother puts in a 92-hour work week, it said, working 40 hours at base pay and 52 hours overtime.

A mother who holds full-time job outside the home would earn an additional $85,939 for the work she does at home, Salary.com.

Last year she would have earned $85,876 for her at-home work, it said.
Salary.com compiled the online responses of 26,000 stay-at-home mothers and 14,000 mothers who also work outside the home.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18466753/

My mom was a stay-at-home mom. Most were back then.
And I am grateful to have had a stay-at-home-mom

Some moms unfortunately must work but most choose to.

I wonder if a big house, 2 cars, new "stuff" compensates for not being there when your child takes his/her 1st step?

Or when a chubby toddler hand reaches out for comfort and security?

Or when a young child yearns to rest beside mommy for a mid day nap?

Or when a child gets a "boo-boo" and needs mommy, not a daycare worker to kiss away the pain?

I wonder if career compensates for all those lost moments?

I wonder when looking back after the children are grown, if the "by choice not need" working mom reflects about those lost moments?

I wonder if on our death bed, we will think of career, money, and all the material things we have owned or rather if we will think of people we have loved and shared our lives with.

I think nothing compares to having a chubby toddler hand on your cheek, or snuggling up to your child for a rainy day mid-afternoon nap or watching your child take their first step.

I think on my death bed I won't be thinking of jobs, promotions and material possessions but instead will be thinking of all the people I have loved and shared my life with, those long ago baby kisses, first steps,chubby hands and innocent uplifted faces to mommy....how about you?

4 comments:

indi500fan said...

Is that you in front of your Dad?
I love the curly hair.
God bless you Joanie!

apackof2 said...

Nope not me, not sure where I was, probably running around getting into trouble :-)

However that is my Dad and my very pregnant with my youngest brother mom!

Anonymous said...

Hi apackof2! I just couldn't resist not leaving you a message. I have been following the LSJ article about MHC as I am a Hoper from MHC-Ovid. I just read your scriptural response to several of the messages there. I kept thinking how to respond to what they were saying, but the Word of God is powerful and that's all that needed to be said. Thank you for sharing that! Be blessed!

apackof2 said...

Amen! The Word has all the answers! It is our sword.

Hebrews 4:12 (New International Version)

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.